Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Dog Days

Well, I had to take Shadow in this morning to have her future generations methodically snuffed out. For some of us who aren't as awake yet..I followed the advice of Bob Barker to "Please have your dog or cat spayed or neutered."

For those who don't know, Shadow is our black lab who currently is 18 months and 95lbs of solid kinetic, frenetic, schizophrenic energy. I've been trying to work with her more on training...I've been "reading" Cesar Millan's books on being a pack leader and how that translates from humans to dogs also. I say "reading" because I tend to gloss the essential points and try to find the stuff which is a quick fix. Not gonna happen.

I can tell you this though...the several times that I've actually succeeded in relaxing and just projecting the mental image of "I'm the Big Dog," Shadow's attitude and demeanor totally changed. For example, I figured out that if I ignore her when she wants to jump on me...she stops...then looks around as if bored and finally just plops down next to me. But I also figured out how sneaky she is....you know how dogs will sometimes just lie down and roll their stomachs towards you as if in a submissive manner? You think you're in control then right?
WRONG. I found this out just yesterday when she did that after a quick little training exercise. I thought to myself...okay, she's starting to recognize my authority...but then I reached out and petted her. All she did was think "If I roll over, HE will pet me...therefore I'm in charge here."
After several minutes of wondering how in the world I'm going to learn to deal with this dog's diva complex...it dawned on me...just ignore her and pet her when she's not expecting it...therefore she's not in control.

Let me tell you...this Cesar Millan guy is one cool character. What he says is the truth. Dogs can more or less read your emotions like a book. I can walk outside all stressed or tired and the dog will absolutely run me over...she becomes hypervigilant per se. But if I mentally project image of coolness or calmness...then she calms right down. It's still hard for her to be around the kids because when Steven screams that high-pitched "dog-whistle" scream...she takes it as her "Pups" are acting up and she's got to go regulate by nipping or knocking them down.

Well, hopefully the surgery goes well....I'm glad it's getting taken care of because I was worried that my little pup would become a teenaged mom...Hah. How's that for a Maury Povich show...or a soap opera.

No comments: