Thursday, August 14, 2008

Never too Late




This is a little late...but I didn't have this site up until just recently and my cousin Holly has her site up with a tribute to Inelle "Grammuh" Hurt. So in keeping Grammuh's fun-filled spirit alive...I feel that all of the Hurt clan should indulge in a specific post or two detailing Grammuh's wonderful spirit and life which no doubt has been thoroughly carried on and will continue to be carried on through the years.


On March 9, 2008, Inelle Broadway Hurt..affectionately known as "Bertha," "Grammuh," "Grandmother"...passed away quietly in her sleep after dealing with Alzheimer's for many years. She is greatly missed by all...but sometimes I feel that whenever I'm down or worried about something...she's somewhere nearby. Whether it's a perfume, seeing someone in WalMart with tons of jewelry doodads on...or even hearing an older woman in our small church singing off-key but with lots of love and joy for the Lord...those moments make me smile and say "That is just like Grammuh."


It's hard not to blink back some tears at this point...but my pride (especially in my line of work) was to show no emotion until I was alone. Oddly enough, I was in the hospital with a fellow officer and an inmate that last Sunday night when my unit control officer called me to call home immediately. I knew then that it was ending long years...days and nights of worry, concern...and finally acceptance of the final journey.


And now...having just recently passed my 34th birthday...I can still vividly remember Grammuh and Granddaddee visiting our house in Monticello, MS. Man, how the years fly by.


I've posted some pictures of Grammuh taken within the past several years...I wasn't able to find any of her and Steven but I'm sure they're floating around somewhere.


To paraphrase CS Lewis briefly "morning has come...the holidays have begun. Our lives are but the title page...now we're beginning the first chapter of the first of many chapters to come...in the story which is neverending and with many more adventures to come."

1 comment:

Daniel, Holly, Aaron, and Joshua Thompson said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures of Bertha Lou! It's funny how my emotions are still raw...we've got so many memories to cherish as a family. Miss you guys. Much Love!!!